Sunday, November 19, 2006

Bring Back the Draft?

An article on cnn.com states that Charles Rangel says if he has his way, he will bring back the draft. He says that it would have prevented the U.S. from invading Iraq on such unsubstantial evidence, and would provide a larger number of troops to aid in possible future needs in North Korea, Iran, and Iraq. It is a pretty well accepted fact that the U.S. military is strained for personel because of the number of overseas commitments. Rangel believes that the only way to get enough numbers to support all of this U.S. involvement is to activate some sort of a draft.
Personally, I can really see where Rangel is coming from, however, It would scare me to think that we would have to rely on a draft to get the job done overseas (and by overseas, I mean all over the world, not just the middle east). I think that there needs to be other steps taken before a draft is put in place. In my view, a draft is a last ditch effort to get more people involved in the war. However, if there was a very desperate need for more troops, I think that there would be enough volunteers to fill the gaps. And if not, then I would consider the possibility of bringing the draft back into effect. I do also agree with the fact that a draft would have slown down the decision to invade Iraq, however, I think that there are less dramatic ways to open people's eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home