Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Chemical Plant Explosion Near Boston

At 3:00 this morning (22nd), a chemical plant about 20 miles north of Boston exploded. The cause of the blast is unknown, and will likely remain that way for a couple of weeks. Twenty five houses are damaged beyond repair, and 65 more were also damaged but are recoverable. Some residents thought that it was a plane crash at first thought, however they later found that the nearby chemical plant has exploded with the force of a 2,000 pound bomb. Miraculously, only ten people were hurt, none of which were serious injuries, and no one was working at the plant at that time.
What got my attention about this article, was the fact that I had not heard about this event until I sat down to write this blog. I then got to thinking, if this was a nuclear powerplant, it would be impossible not to hear about it. I stand behind the use of nuclear energy, and I am sure that if something similar to this happened at a nuclear powerplant people would be having a fit about how unsafe nuclear power is. But the truth is, accidents like this happen fairly regularly. Nuclear power actually has a far safer record than does that of chemical or coal generated powerplants. I am not saying that changes won't be made after this accident as well, but I am relatively sure that if this was a nuclear powerplant, the whole world would be on top of this situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home