Tuesday, November 07, 2006

What Happened to All the Fish?



I recently read an article in the USA Today Newspaper that talks about many of the ocean's edible species could be gone by 2048. Currently about 29 % of the ocean's edible fish are extinct,and that analysts say that about 90% will be gone if drastic meausers aren't put in place soon. They also say that this trend can be reversed, and that we need to "implement sustainable fishing methods, create marine sanctuaries where species can replenish themselves, and limit pollution from coastal areas". Overfishing isn't the only problem though, destruction of coastal areas, estuaries, and reefs are also major problems.


I never thought that I might see the day where fish start to run out. There are trillions of fish living in our oceans, and yet we still have managed to reduce their numbers dramatically. I'm not a big fan of fish, but I think that something needs to be done to reverse the effects that we are creating today. If this trend continues most of the fish will be gone, I know that I may not like fish, but others in countries such as Japan and China sure do. If 90% of this fish go extinct, I think that this will only increase poverty dramatically in many parts of the world, but mostly the coastal countries. I wonder if anything will actually be done to prevent this, instead of following the trend that global warming is following: People say they will reduce their gas emissions but nothing dramatic has been done. Hopefully this will not be the case for the fish problem and that something will be done quickly and have a good effect on the ocean and its inhabitants.

What do you guys think of this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home