Sunday, May 14, 2006

A Day Without Immigrants

On the radio a few days ago, I heard about the plans (and a few days later the results) of a strike by immigrants to the U.S. and their supporters. The plan was that one day, every immigrant (legal and illegal) would simply not show up for work just to show the country how much they need immigrants. Sitting in my car listening to the radio, I thought to myself "big deal, yea we might lose a few thousand dollars but they need us more than we need them". Turns out that it cost some businesses 10 grand, and several billion dollars as a whole country. I looked on the web to find an article about this, and sure enough I found one. It isnt that big, so its worth your time to read it. It is pretty interesting:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,193761,00.html

1 Comments:

At Sunday, May 14, 2006 6:01:00 PM, Blogger Kevin Hurd said...

I remember hearing about this day on the radio and also talking about it with others. This actually was a pretty big deal and it showed just how much of our workforce is made up of those who are illegal in our country. Upon discussing this with others, I also learned just how the problem is here in our area. I don't have any facts to back it up, but just by talk I've heard that large plants (such as the Jenni-O) plant in Willmar, MN has a high population of illegal immigrants working there. Not to say how many (%) are illegal, however I've heard this is a hot spot for those looking for cheap work. It is funny to think though that an illegal immigrant would participate and show their face at these types of events-when you're here illegally the whole point is to hide yourself, however through these protests illegal people make themeselves clearly known. Also, they are protesting our country's values when they aren't even a legal resident of our country. Sounds like a backwards philosphy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home