Friday, December 08, 2006

Workers injured when Concrete slab falls from Scafolding.

In Arlington Virginia, a wet piece of concrete collapsed the scafolding it was sitting on and fell to the ground. In total, 16 workers were injured, three of which are listed in critical condition. It took two hours to get the final victims out, and get everyone accounted for. The ironic part of the story is that today was the day planned to have the "topping off party" for the completion of the concrete laying.
I am very glad to see that no one was killed in this incident. However, as I read this article, I wondered to myself, what makes this article newsworthy? Don't get me wrong, I think that this is a bad (and newsworthy) accident. However, what makes this event more important than the murders and genocide in other parts of the world. I do not understand why something like this gets onto the "top stories" section, when everyday, large numbers of people in Africa are being mistreated and murdered. It seems to me that things like this should get the top story everday, so people could understand what is going on. It just shocks me that some minor thing (not that this story is minor) in the United States will get a million times more attention than something really terrible in another country. I believe that a situation like the one above is news worthy, and people should know about it, but I just do not get why more significant issues do not get more coverage. My intentions of this blog were not to bash whoever wrote this article. However, I think that if you are going to rank something "newsworthy," any other event that is just as ,if not more important, should be deemed "newsworthy" as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home