Saturday, February 11, 2006

Fossil Fuels, Are They Worth It?

We have been talking a lot about fossil fuels and how much they impact our environment. I found an article on what fossil fuels do to our world, and some possible solutions on how we as people can cut back on our use of them. The article has many interesting facts in it, stating things like the United States contributes 80% of the fossil fuels by driving cars, buses, trucks, etc. This struck me a lot, and although I new it was a large number, I didn't realize that every time I got in my car I was hurting the environment so badly. I think to myself, is driving to school each day or going to the mall to browse really worth it? Personally, I don't want the air for future generations to be so bad that they can't even breath. If we keep using fossil fuels at the rate we are today, this will be the case. We all saw on our GIS mapping activity how the continents are shrinking in size and environmentalists are not making the fact up. This article does mention that natural gas is among the least harmful fossil fuels, although it still does create a "smog" in the air. When reading this, I did not feel comfortable at all. I mean, if natural gas is one of the better fossil fuels to use and it creates cloudy air, then what exactly are the effects of the bad fossil fuels? Check out http://www.naturalgas.org/environment/naturalgas.asp to learn much more about the different fossil fuels and their effects on the environment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home