Sunday, April 23, 2006

"YOUNG SWEDES"

I found a really interesting site that revolves around the lifestyles of swedish teens. I think that you can simply learn about a country by reading a text book. However, sometimes it's more important to hear from the citizens themselves. In this site you get the chance to meet 6 Swedes-Inga,Veronica, David, Märta, Mackan and Marcus. Each of them have their own stories, personal opinions, and view of Sweden from their very own eyes. One 19-year old girl who lives there belongs to an ethnic and linguistic minority called "Sami." She discusses her cultural lifestyle, filled with herding reindeer and making handi-crafts. I thought her quote was kind of amusing.......
***“It’s astounding how little Swedes know about the Sami. A lot of people think we’ve got polar bears running around on the strret and that we live in Lapp tents all year round. I surf and e-mail people at least once a week. We’re just as modern as anyone else.”
To go to the site yourself, click the link. Then click on one of the names listed. Each person has about 3 articles.
YOUNG_SWEDES
I also think you should go here too. It gives you interesting facts on the country.
BRIEF FACTS ON SWEDEN

2 Comments:

At Sunday, April 23, 2006 8:32:00 PM, Blogger Mrs Hartman said...

What a great site. The coolest thing about the internet is stuff like this. I bet we could find similar sites about most parts of the world.

We could even make a site like this for central MN and what it is like to live here.

 
At Sunday, April 23, 2006 11:15:00 PM, Blogger Kevin Hurd said...

My family roots are very deep to Sweden and so this was an interesting post for me to read. I think the Swedish background site about the facts of Sweden was interesting to page through because I don't know much about the country itself and was surprised to see that the population of 9 million. Roughtly, that's about 2 Minnesotas, which is pretty small. Also, I didn't know the populations was 82% Lutheran, which happens to be my religious background and my great grandfather was a Lutheran pastor and he was a direct immigrant of Sweden. I see that correlation now between Lutherans and Sweden a little more clearly now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home