Sunday, March 19, 2006

Refugees from Cuba to the United States

I realize that the Caribbean was the last chaper we did, but after all the Africa posts I decided to shift topics and switch things up. I did some reasearch on Cuba, Fidel Castro, and the United States. I came across an intriguing article about the increasing number of immigrants to the U.S. from Cuba. In my government class we went over the topic about "wet foot/dry foot" policy, which means that if any Cuban immigrant who sets foot on American soil is legally admited to the U.S. but if the coast guard catches them before they do, they are sent back to Cuba. I agreed quite a bit with one of the quotes in the article when Cheryl Little said, "Our Coast Guard is being put in the untenable position of endangering lives in order to keep people from reaching our shores." Although we want to ensure homeland security, I think that we should also aid refugees that seek out the United States as a safe haven for people just trying to escape living conditions in Cuba.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home